Thursday, April 10, 2014

Japanese 101

 
I took off my teacher hat and put on my student one this week by taking a beginning Japanese (language) class! The class was great - fun, interactive, and it left me wanting to know more.  The syllabus says we will be able to master reading, writing, and translating (some words) in two Japanese dialects: Hiragana and Katakana.  So far, I can recite the first part of the Hiragana alphabet and can recognize some of those letters.  I know that learning Japanese isn't a must, however I do think it will be beneficial to be familiar with the language to some extent.  In order to try and immerse myself in the Japanese language, I have enlisted my students as my helpers.  They are learning right along with me and we've been making it into a game.  It's been so much fun!

Other than the language class, I'm waiting on a response from Tokyo International School on what days I will be there.  I'm still trying to play around with my itinerary a bit - I might stay in Hiroshima because it may be too much to do in one day.  I'm just not sure yet. 

I have also looked into renting a pocket Wi-Fi, as well as possibly renting a SIM card for my iPhone.  This is a much more economical way of communicating instead of adding an international plan on my phone, plus I know I will be using the Internet quite a bit! 

There's a lot of little things to cross off my list, however I'm getting there slowly, but surely!


Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment