Saturday, June 7, 2014

Don't Hop...Leap!


  

So many times throughout the school year, my students hear the words "risk-taker" and yet, they may not really know how those words can create such memorable experiences.  Is it possible to grow within yourself in just one day? Absolutely.  As I sit here and reflect on the last 24 hours, I am in awe of how much of an impact becoming a Fellow is having on me.  This experience is already changing who I am as a person and who I am as a teacher every minute that I'm here.  And think...I have 10 more days to go.  

Prior to my flight, I was a ball of nerves.  So much so that I even had the people around me tense! As Jim and James waved goodbye from outside of the security line at the airport, I immediately started crying.  My students who are reading this may be asking themselves, "why?"  Well, because I was nervous to leave my loved ones and I'm also one of the most anxious flyers around.  I immediately felt the wet tears take over.  How could I possibly feel homesick already and I haven't even left? I took a deep breath and kept right on walking through security.  13 hours later, I officially became a risk-taker.

Just knowing that I traveled to another country by myself, where language is a barrier, and without the help of my amazing husband who is the best at reading maps and carrying my luggage, is a huge accomplishment.  And let's just say the 'carrying the luggage' statement is not a joke.  After arriving at the Shinjuku subway station yesterday from the airport, I had to get to street level to hail a taxi.  I had my large suitcase, a medium sized carry on suitcase, and my purse.  As I approached the exit I needed to take to get to street level, the escalator going up was out of order.  I literally looked at the stairs, looked at my luggage, and looked at the stairs again.  Uh-oh.  Since I had no choice but to just get it done, I picked up my luggage and noisily made it up to the first break of the steps.  Phew! Luckily, a very nice Japanese man saw me struggling and offered to carry my main suitcase for the latter half.  So of course now that I had made it to street level, it started to rain.  But, have no fear! I brought an umbrella.  Yay! See how prepared I am? Well, there was just one slight problem.  I was using both arms to roll my luggage; which means the umbrella was useless if I couldn't hold it.  So, I stood in the rain and thankfully only for a short period of time before I was able to get in a taxi.  Guess I won't be taking my husband's luggage carrying skills for granted from here on out, will I? Aside from this, the language barrier is the biggest obstacle.  And think - I prepared myself with Japanese language classes! There are no street signs and the ones that I have seen are in Japanese (mixed Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji writing).  I knew that understanding Japanese would be hard, but you really test yourself when all you can do is to gesture when asking someone for help.  Thank goodness the Japanese people are so gracious, helpful, and kind! Oh and those of you who think math may be a bit boring? Well, it sure hasn't been boring for me! I've had to count my change with a quickness to make sure it was correct after paying in cash.  Sounds easy, right? Wrong! Counting change and not knowing the value of each foreign currency takes more than a few seconds and I definitely felt the pressure to hurry with the line of people behind me.  

Now, I know that my students are reading these entries and wondering how I'm updating my blog, Tweeting and posting pictures.  Am I sitting at an Internet cafe? Oh, there must be free wi-fi everywhere, right? The answer is: nope! I am able to stay technology saavy all because I did some research.  After I was notified of winning my grant, I immediately began my research.  In the classroom, we do a lot of research on our IB Units, as well as lessons that go along with our novel studies.  But, did you know those research skills we use in the classroom can come in so handy in your regular life, especially when you travel abroad? Let me give you an example.  I knew that I had to have Tmy phone with me.  I called AT&T, however their International plans are outrageous and I just wasn't sure if that was the route I wanted to go.  Afterall, I needed to blog during my trip and needed Internet access on my iPad to do so.  So, after doing some research on travel forums and websites, I found my answer.  Behold, the Pocket Wi-Fi. 


I like to consider myself somewhat of a techy, but this was all new to me.  I had no idea this was even possible, let alone existed.  I placed my order online about a month before I left and after a couple of emails with the rental company, I was informed that my Pocket Wi-Fi would be ready for pick up at the airport post office when I arrived.  Sure enough, after clearing customs, I headed to the airport post office, showed the man my passport, and in turn received my package.  It was very easy to set up and I have been able to use my phone at my convenience.  And let's just say that having it for Google Maps is a lifesaver! 

Now, for the fun stuff - pictures! 

Having my first onigiri rice ball on train en route to my hotel.  I have no idea what was inside of it, but it was delicious.  Nothing says risk taker like eating food you are not familiar with.

View from my hotel room.  Every bit of concete space is used.  Tokyo reminds me of New York City, but multiply that by 100.  It's awesome!

Remember that scene in Cars 2 when Mater uses the restroom in Japan? Well, there was definitely some truth to that.  The above picture is the toilet in my hotel room bathroom.  It's so high tech and all I wanted to figure out was how to flush it.  Only in Japan!

Exploring the streets of Tokyo.  This is one small alley I went down.  Notice how everyone is walking.  The streets are so narrow and there's hardly any cars on the streets.

Around 7 p.m., I decided to find a place to eat.  I looked through all of the restaurants, which by the way are so small that the majority of them don't have tables, using counter seating instead, to find a place to eat.  I decided on Kamakura Ramen and let me tell you, it did not disappoint.  I wish I had taken a picture of it, but you actually order BEFORE entering the restaurant.  I put my money in what looks like a vending machine, then I pushed a button to choose the meal that I wanted.  A ticket printed out with my selection and after being greeted "Hajimimaste!" by the staff, I handed the my hostess ticket.  She showed me where to sit on the counter and gave me a glass of water.  Several minutes later, this is what was in front of me: 

It was delicious!!

After dinner, I walked around a bit more before deciding that it was time to call it a night.  I was exhausted!

And here's one last pic for this post - the taxis! They drive and walk on the left here, which took a little while to get used to, but after dodging dozens of people, I finally realized that it was ME who was in the way.  Oops.

As my adventures in Japan continue, I'm hoping that my students reading my posts feel as if they're with me on this journey.  And if I had one last piece of "Mrs. de Leon advice," it's this: 
As you get older, it will become harder and harder to take risks.  The list of excuses gets longer and longer.  There never seems to be enough time to cross those risks off your bucket list.  And of course the fear factor you were oblivious to at a young age seems to grow bigger as you get older.  However, let me be the example that YOU CAN DO IT! Don't hop on your next adventure - leap towards it!

It will change your life.  

-Mrs. de Leon :) 

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing adventure Pia! Hope you have a wonderful time. I shall be following your blog :) Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pia-----I'm so happy for you. Reading about your story in a new place is getting me excited for my own trip next week! I can spend all my time daydreaming about what it will be like, but it's all the small details, like ordering food from a vending machine and standing in the rain with heavy luggage, that makes a trip.

    ReplyDelete