Have you ever seen the documentary, Jiro Loves Sushi? Well, I saw it a few months ago and I just knew that I had to experience it for myself. I called Tokyo during the evenings in hopes of getting through their busy line and finally, one random evening, their phone rang. A gentleman answered and between both of our language barriers, it seemed that I did, in fact, have a reservation! I couldn't believe it! I felt like I had won the lottery! I made my reservation for the day I left Hakone to go back to Tokyo. That day would be a free day, so it was a perfect time to have lunch at Sukiyabashi Jiro.
The day arrived and I was so nervous! I was so excited, but knew I had to keep my composure. I wasn't sure what the rules were regarding pictures, so I snuck this one in after being greeted by one of the apprentices.
I was told that I could take pictures of the food, but not Chef Jiro. Got it, now let's eat!
Lunch began and I guess I was so excited because I forgot to take pictures of the first three pieces. Also, apparently I wasn't holding my chopsticks properly and I was advised to use my hands. Sushi is actually meant to be eaten by your hands, so that was perfectly fine by me. Chef Jiro's first apprentice spoke English well and he translated what Chef Jiro was saying about each piece. Words cannot even describe how AMAZING each piece was. I have no words, except that I will never be able to eat sushi anywhere else again. The rice was perfect and just when you thought that it couldn't get any better, Chef Jiro would give you another piece and all you could do was just nod your head with satisfaction. This was truly an experience and I loved every minute of it. Looks like I will be the one dreaming of Jiro's sushi from now on.
This is Chef Jiro's first apprentice. One of the pieces I ate had a smoky flavor and he showed it to me from the book based on the documentary.
This is a picture of a nice Japanese man who sat next to me. He didn't really speak any English and from our limited conversation, he was visiting Tokyo from Hokkaido. The one word we did keep saying to each other was "oishii,' which means delicious. We both definitely agreed on that!
Here I am with Chef Jiro. What an unforgettable experience!
After lunch, I decided to walk around the Ginza area of Tokyo. Ginza reminds me of 5th Avenue in New York City...and who doesn't love 5th Avenue?
I came upon a stationery store named Itoya. I had heard about this store and I was so happy to have found it. I am obsessed with stationery and writing goods and this store had 5 floors of it! I easily spent an hour in the store admiring all the Japanese crafts.
As I continued to walk around Ginza, I browsed through their department stores. Japan's department stores are different than any department stores I've ever been to. You can easily get lost in it. The basement floors of them have wonderful food choices and it's been fun to walk through them to see all the action. As I browsed through Mitsukoshi in Ginza, I found this gem: Laduree! If you've ever heard of Laduree, then you know that their macarons are one of a kind.
Look at these desserts! They all look delicious!
Macarons...my favorite!
I decided to take a little break and rest my feet, so I asked for a table for dessert and tea. I sat at a table next to these two sweet women. They seemed to have been life-long friends. I love that the woman on the left is wearing a kimono!
I went with the waiter's suggestion and tried this pistachio biscuit dessert. Once again, it was delicious.
I walked around a bit more before deciding to head back to my hotel. On my way back, I came across a little food stand in the train station. Aren't the desserts adorable? Japan is also big on "kawaii," which means cute.
I only have just a few more days left in Tokyo...excited for tomorrow!
-Mrs. de Leon
















No comments:
Post a Comment